Frequent advancements in technology have essentially paved the way for improvement in dental
care. Among those improvements is the development of procedures that are relevant to teeth loss,
as semi-permanent remedies are now available. If you’ve suffered tooth loss quite early; you can
surely benefit from having dental implants done.
In case you don’t have any background about it yet, dental implants are replacement tooth roots.
The implants serve as a strong foundation for replacement teeth, which are meant to match your
natural teeth. If you have dental implants, no one will be able to tell that what you have isn’t
your real teeth. In fact, this could possibly be the biggest reasons why people opt for dental
implants in the first place, instead of getting regular dentures.
Before getting dental implants Mississauga, here’s a list of the information you must know about
1. The Potential Disadvantages
Not to scare you away from the possibility of having one, but it’s important to discuss the
potential drawbacks of dental implants. You see, you might be over-excited to have the
procedure done that you might forget to know about its negative aspects. No dental procedure is
ever going to be perfect, so getting to know the potential disadvantages if getting implants can
help you make a more informed decision.
Those potential disadvantages include the following:
- Pain, bleeding and swelling due to the surgery
- Wearing out of the dental implants faster than it’s supposed to, if you fail to practice good oral hygiene
- Anesthesia-related complications like drowsiness, nausea, and vomiting
2. The Costs
Dental implants can be quite expensive, so be sure to set the record straight with your dentist or
periodontist as to how much it’ll cost you to have dental implants done. If you have a health
insurance with wide coverage, check the dental insurance section to see if it also covers dental implants.
Any concerns you have about the price, can be settled when you see the excellent results of your dental implants. When done right, the dental implants you pay for are going to be worth it.
3. The Need For A Dental Examination
A good dentist offering dental implants should offer you a thorough dental examination. If they
don’t, then that fact, should be a red flag. Never proceed with a dental implant procedure without
going through a thorough dental examination first. This is the only way for you to have a clear-
cut information on whether or not you’re going to be a good candidate for the dental implants.
The examination should include having a look at your medical records. This is important so the
dentist can determine the safest step-by-step process of placing the implant. For instance:
- If the patient has weak or suppressed immune system, the dentist should place you under antibiotics both before and after the surgery.
- If the patient’s jaws have to be prepared, the dentist will also perform the necessary bone grafts and jaw reshaping.
- If the patient is found to be allergic to any of the dental materials, the dentist should also use other alternatives.
4. There Are Certain Individuals Who Aren’t Good Candidates For Dental Implants
No matter how keen you may be to have dental implants done, the reality is that not everyone is
a good candidate for dental implants. This is why a thorough dental and medical examination
should be conducted by your dentist. That way, you can make sure that having dental implants
isn’t going to be detrimental to your overall health.
These individuals aren’t good candidates for dental implants:
- Patients with preexisting gum disease;
- Patients with diabetes;
- Patients with cancer, are taking cancer treatment, or have just recovered from cancer.
5. The Advantages Of Having Dental Implants
At the start of this article, you’ve come across the various disadvantages of having dental
implants. Those aren’t meant to scare you away from having one done, but for you to make a
better decision as to whether or not you should have implants done. To balance out those
disadvantages, here’s a list of the advantages, in closing.
- It improves your appearance, as dental implants look and feel like natural teeth;
- It increases your self-esteem, as you no longer have to be so conscious about your smile;
- It allows you to eat easier and better, as dental implants also function like your own teeth would.
Getting dental implants is a complicated surgical procedure, so you’ll want to be sure that it’s a
safe option, and that you have it done the best way possible. The information you’ve read
through is only the beginning of what you should know about dental implants. Speak with your trusted dentist in Mississauga, so you can have a proper assessment for getting dental implants.