A rhytidectomy, more commonly known as a facelift, is a surgical procedure where the skin and muscles are tightened on and around the face. This smooths out wrinkles and fine lines and lifts up the muscles around the jawline and other areas, reducing the appearance of a person’s age.
This can be done to target “problem areas”, such as sagging under the chin, crows feet around the eyes and smile lines around your mouth.
With advances in medical technology, the need for a surgical facelift is becoming less necessary. There are now non-surgical options that can provide similarly natural results, but with a faster recovery time. They are also more financially affordable.
Although not guaranteed to produce the exact same results as a surgical facelift, the results are still outstanding and highly effective. There is minimal aftercare for you, the patient, to perform at home as well. This allows you to get back to your life as quickly as possible, with very little disruption.
Non-surgical facelift options are becoming increasingly popular, as they have a faster recovery time, and in many cases, the results can be seen instantly. These include:
- Derma fillers: This is a gel-based filler that is injected under the skin, targeting the cheeks, lips, and around the eyes. It is designed to help smooth out the wrinkles and plump the skin. Botox is the commonly known derma filler, but there is a wide range available that your surgeon will discuss with you.
- Laser resurfacing treatment: A laser is focused and specifically targets areas of the skin. It is used to repairing sun damage, treating age-related skin issues, removing acne scars, and evening out skin tone.
- Thread lift: This is done using small temporary sutures that are placed just under the skin to lift it up and hold it in place. One benefit is that it promotes the body’s natural healing process, thus encouraging new collagen to be produced to naturally fill in lines and wrinkles over time.
- Chemical skin peels: A unique combination of chemicals are used to create a mask that covers your face, much like you would find in a spa (only more specialized). This mask removes dead skin cells and tightens the skin so once removed, the skin is firmer and brighter, making you look and feel younger.
- Microneedling: Small needles are used to deliver a heat treatment directly under the skin. This helps to tighten the skin and reduce wrinkles and fine lines. This technique also encourages new cell growth and improved blood flow to the skin.
- Wrinkle treatment: This is a common non-surgical treatment, where a chemical designed to help firm and reduce wrinkles is injected under the skin. The results are seen almost instantly. This is typically used for forehead wrinkles, crow’s feet, and smile lines around the mouth.
What are the benefits of non-surgical facelifts?
Non-surgical facelifts are today’s popular option because they are not as invasive as surgical lifts, and are a lot safer. Without the need for general anesthesia, bandages, and splints to keep things in place and to help the healing process, it is easy to see why more people are choosing them.
There is still a risk for complications, as with any type of medical procedure. However, this is greatly reduced with the non-surgical options.
They are cost-effective, too, meaning that you could pay up to one-third of the price, and have multiple treatments.
With a faster recovery time (in some cases, within hours instead of weeks or months), the results are easily seen and appear faster.
The procedure time itself is also a lot shorter than surgery. Treatments requiring injections can take half an hour, for example, compared to surgery that can take several hours.
You might look in the mirror one day and see wrinkles and fine lines that were not there yesterday, or notice a slight change in your skin colour in some places. Thus, these non-surgical procedures might be for you.
Are you healthy, eat a balanced diet, work out regularly, and are a non-smoker? These measures increase the recovery time, as the skin is already healthy. While you may have to change your workout routine for a day or so to make sure the treatment takes full effect, your recovery time will be very quick.
If you are a smoker, you may be asked to quit for a couple of weeks prior to the treatment. The chemicals in the cigarettes will inhibit your recovery time, and the results may not look as you expect.
Ultimately designed to benefit people who just want to get rid of those pesky lines, or turn back the clock a few years with a rejuvenating peel, non-surgical procedures are quick and produce natural-looking results.