Chef’s Notes: In celebration of International Women’s Day we recognise the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of all women and the positive impact they have on all of us.
I have developed this simple recipe in the hopes that women everywhere will be honoured by someone making this for them and saying thank you. The experience will be like going to an elegant restaurant and having the most scrumptious dessert on the menu but this one is more special because it comes from your heart and your hands have it. Say thank you to all women on International Women’s Day and everyday of the year!
This recipe should take about 90 minutes to complete (30 minutes is the actual prep and preparation time and the 60 minutes is to have the custard cooling down).
1, fresh strawberries, wash and clean and dry strawberries, cut off greens on the bottom, set aside.
2, custard , pre-bought custard, or follow custard recipe provided
3, tart shells, use store bought square tart shells, to be baked
4, glaze, recommend to purchase at a local grocery store.
5, one fresh mango
6, mango juice
• One sift to wash strawberries
• Cutting board
• Small pot for Glaze
• One larger pot for custard
• Small pot for the mango juice.
• Parchment paper
• One metal tray
The Mango Juice
• Add 4 cups of mango juice into a pot and simmer at low temperature until reduced by half, then set aside.
• Combine milk, vanilla extract, butter in a pan and cook over medium heat until mixture starts simmering, do not bring to a full boil, stir continuously, then Set aside.
• Mix 4 eggs, sugar and cornstarch in a bowl until sugar is dissolved.
• Put sauce pan on stove on low heat and slowly pour in the egg mixture (constantly whisking until custard becomes thicken for about 5 to 10 minutes). To test if the custard is ready, stick the spoon into the custard when the custard stays on to the spoon it’s ready.
• Set custard aside to cool down a bit, then add the very small diced cup of mangos And mix. And set aside.
• Next: Place tart shells on parchment paper, put in oven and bake the tart shells as per manufacture package recommendations. Once baked, set aside and let cool.
• The Glaze, just follow manufactures recommendation.
Now the fun part – How To Assemble
• Line up the baked tart shells
• Fill the shells with custard. (Note by this time the mangos should be mixed into the custard).
• Place strawberries on top of the custard filling.
• Slowly spoon over your glaze onto the strawberries custard and set aside.
• Take round flat plates and add a couple of spoons of the mango juice in the centre of the plate.
• Place the filled and glazed tart shell on top of the mango juice and serve. (One tart per plate).
Chef Stephan Schulz works across Canada with corporations and with food brokers developing recipes for major restaurants and restaurant chains across Canada. Follow Chef Schulz on instagram:https://www.instagram.com/chef_schulz, for his daily recipe and plated photo posts.