Hit enter after type your search item
Home / Toronto / News / Snow squall warning for Ontario’s ski country and points north of Toronto

Snow squall warning for Ontario’s ski country and points north of Toronto


December 10, 2019 – This morning Envrionment Canada has issued an official Snow Squall Warning for the following areas: Barrie, Collingwood, Hillsdale, Midland, Coldwater, Orr Lake Orillia, Lagoon City and Washago.

What does this mean for skiers and snowboarders?

Snowfall accumulations could reach 15 to 20 cm by Wednesday morning when the storm will be at its peak.

This is caused by a sharp cold front according to Environment Canada.

 Gusty winds will accompany these snow squalls at times resulting in periods of blowing snow and low visibility on the roads headed north from the Toronto area.

Environment Canada says visibility will be suddenly reduced to near zero at times in heavy snow and blowing snow. Travel is expected to be hazardous due to reduced visibility. If visibility is reduced while driving, slow down, watch for tail lights ahead and be prepared to stop. Public Safety Canada encourages everyone to make an emergency plan and get an emergency kit with drinking water, food, medicine, a first-aid kit and a flashlight.

Following the snow, a short break can be expected early Wednesday morning into the afternoon as winds become southwesterly, shifting the snow squalls northward. However, snow squalls will shift back into the region late Wednesday afternoon or early evening as the winds become northwesterly once again. These snow squalls will ease early Thursday morning, according to Environment Canada.

Craigleith, Ontario

Blue Mountain/Collingwood area

Temperatures in the Blue Mountain/Collingwood area this week will be minus 2 on Tuesday, minus 6 on Wednesday then dropping to a chilling minus 13 Wednesday night, before going back up to minus 5 with a 40 percent chance of flurries on Thursday. Friday will be warmer hovering at about zero, and Saturday at plus 3 may see a mix of rain in the day (60 percent chance) and snow at night, with a chance of flurries Sunday and a high of minus 3.

What about the Barrie ski areas?

Barrie will have a similar weather pattern to Collingwood with 10 to 15 cm of snow expected Tuesday night followed by and additional 2 to 4 cm on Wednesday with a high of minus 6 celsius. Thursday will be mostly cloudy with flurries and a high of minus 5, while Friday warms up to plus one. Like Collingwood, Saturday will see rain at plus 3 and more flurries Sunday with a high of minus 3.

Will this affect the Toronto area?

Toronto will see some snow flurries but nothing major. In the GTA, temperatures will drop from 1 degree celsius to minus 6 celsius with a chance of flurries Tuesday and a high of minus 5 to a low of minus 9 Wednesday night with a 60 percent chance of flurry activity. Thursday will be slightly warmer ranging from -2c to -4c with a mix of sun and cloud and Friday, warmer still with a high of 3 and an overnight low of 2, while Saturday warms up to plus 5 plummetting to minus 5 on Sunday with a chance of flurries.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ONstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #ONStorm.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Pinterest
  • Reddit
This div height required for enabling the sticky sidebar
%d bloggers like this: