Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders during a statement this morning at 10 am said the 14-year-old boy who was abducted and held against his will for nearly 40 hours was found in an abandoned barn in a rural area of Brampton.
After an almost 24-hour Amber Alert, Toronto Police posted a Twitter statement that the boy was found safe and was being taken the hospital for a medical.
Police told CP24 that the boy was found safe around 10:20 p.m. Thursday in a barn off 10869 Heritage Road near Wanless Drive, in the westernmost section of Brampton.
The boy had been forced into a dark coloured Jeep Wednesday around 8:30 am when he was on his way to school.
Witnesses told police the boy screamed for help as two men clad in dark clothing and bandanas manhandled him and then sped off.
The school board’s system for notifying parents of absences at high school inexplicably failed to do so until after 6 p.m. that night, at least a half hour after the boy’s father had already called police to report his son was missing.
Once the boy’s family was notified an Amber Alert was issued.
Toronto Police stated that the boy had been abducted over his stepbrother’s alleged $4 million drug debt resulting from the theft of a large quantity of cocaine.
The Jeep was found burned out in the Forks of the Credit area of Caledon, which helped lead police locate the boy in a barn about a 25-minute drive from the damaged vehicle.
Halton paramedics took the boy to Sick Kids where he underwent a medical checkup and was reunited with his mother.