TORONTO, ON., May 26, 2020 — Today, IKEA Canada announced that they are pleased to reopen seven additional stores, including all Ontario locations, as well as stores based in the Montreal area. In Ontario, this includes Burlington, Etobicoke, Ottawa, North York and Vaughan locations.
The popular Swedish home furnishings company famous for its flat-packs, meatballs and cinnamon buns, says it is working in line with recommendations from local governments and health authorities. IKEA says its customers will experience an enhanced, preventative health and safety measures making customers feel safe to shop. As a result, the IKEA Restaurant and children’s play area, Småland, will remain closed. The IKEA Bistro will open for takeout only.
With today’s announcement, the retailer has now welcomed customers back to all 11 store locations across the provinces of Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec. IKEA stores in British Columbia and Nova Scotia continue to be temporarily closed.
• Frequent sanitization and cleaning of units and surfaces incl. carts (after every use).
• Personal protective equipment (PPE) for co-workers.
• Separation screens around cash registers and customer service points.
• Hand sanitizer throughout and clear information on preventive hygiene methods to minimize the potential risk of infection.
• Health and safety requirements for co-workers and third-party vendors, including a temperature check when they enter the building.
During these first weeks, IKEA asks customers to be mindful of physical distancing guidelines and limits to store capacity when they plan a visit to the store.
They also advise that customers plan their specific purchase in advance, check stock availability on IKEA.ca, consider a non-peak time or later date to shop if the need isn’t immediate, only touching product that they intend to buy and shopping in groups of two or less.
To avoid long wait times, IKEA also encourages customers to take advantage of its 365-day return policy and return products at a later time. For customer convenience, IKEA continues to offer contactless Curbside Click & Collect at all store locations, including those which have reopened, and online shopping at IKEA.ca.