TORONTO, ON., Sept. 21, 2020 — Today, at the City’s COVID-19 news conference, Mayor John Tory says the hugely popular annual Toronto Christmas Market will not be happening this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The popular Christmas craft market celebrated its 10th anniversary last year and annually attracts thousands of Torontonians and visitors during its run from mid-November to Christmas.
During the COVId-19 press conference Mayor Tory said there will be an official announcement but “In this case, as with most of the cancellations this year, the decision has been taken by the organization itself looking at the health situation and all the other circumstances they want to examine.”
“It’s regrettable, extremely regrettable, because these are things that bring people joy and bring them outside even in the colder weather,” lamented Mayor Tory on CP24.
Mayor Tory also implied today that there will be a lot more cancellations of popular upcoming Toronto events.
“A lot of things have changed this year,” Tory added. “Let’s just hope we can get through a roster of events we will deal with in the next few days that probably won’t be held on a normal basis at all and get back to something more normal next year if we follow along, not only by cancelling these events, but by behaving in a way we have talked about for the last few days,” said Tory.