A note from Chef Stephan Sculz: Valentine’s Day is a special time of year where we may say, “please don’t do anything special for me,” but what we actually mean is, “surprise me please.” This pasta dish will certainly do the trick. Heart shaped Ravioli (in Red and White) with a delicious sun-dried tomato sauce.
I picked-up this unique heart-shaped stuffed ravioli from Jiano Foods (a pasta manufacturer). You may not come across this heart-shaped stuffed ravioli pasta in many grocery stores, but possibly at some restaurants. Enjoy this dish…Happy Valentine’s Day to all.
Ingredients needed for Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce;
• One cup of sun-dried tomatoes
• Two cloves of fresh garlic, skin removed
• 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese.
• 1/4 cup of Italian virgin olive oil.
• 1/2 fresh basil
• Optional pasta water
Method (Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce);
• Grab a food processor and add sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, fresh basil, garlic and blend together (blend together as you would a pesto sauce). You may wish to add an extra touch of olive oil and cheese if you prefer.
Instruction for creating the Heart shaped Ravioli dish;
• Grab a pot and fill with water. Bring water to boil and add salt then place the ravioli into the boiling water.
• Once the raviolis have risen/float to the top, cook for two or three more minutes and then remove the cooked ravioli from the pot. (Keep some of the boiled pasta water for possible use in making the sauce).
• Next, take a saucepan and add the sun-dried tomatoes mixture from the blender.
• Place burner on low to medium heat and constantly stir. You may need to add 2 teaspoons of the pasta water. Once the sauce is nice and hot, place it on to the plate first, then add the heart-shaped ravioli on top or around the sauce and serve immediately.
• The roses are optional and for decoration only, but a nice touch to take this dish over the top.
Chef Stephan Schulz works across Canada with corporations and with food brokers developing recipes for major restaurants and restaurant chains across Canada. Follow Chef Schulz on instagram for his daily recipe and plated photo posts: https://www.instagram.com/chef_schulz an download his FREE cookbook from totimes.ca!