A note from Chef Stephan Schulz: I enjoy cooking with eggs, because no matter what you do, the dish cannot be messed-up. Eggs go with pretty much anything and they are no longer just a breakfast thing. Be a little adventurous and you can create a new dish every time.
The organic asparagus and sweet potatoes Frittata is one of my favourite and very easy to make…try it out for yourself.
• 5 eggs
• One cup of diced sweet potatoes
• 150g of cube feta (already cut into cubes)
• 8 stems of asparagus
• 3 ounces of 35% cream
• 1 ounce of shredded Parmesan cheese
• Teaspoon of butter
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
• One pie plate,
• One frying pan (used for the sweet potatoes).
• One small pot to boil water in (used for the asparagus).
* One medium bowl (used to mix all the ingredients).
• One oven and stovetop
• Take pie plate and smear the bottom with butter and set aside. This will help to make it easier to remove the frittata from the pie plate once it is baked.
• Peel one sweet potato and dice into small cubes (half of a sweet potato should be enough).
• Take a frying pan and add oil and the cubed sweet potatoes. Sauté until tender and a little brown on the edges, then set aside.
• Take the asparagus and peel the bottom 3/4 and cut into half-an- inch sticks. Leave the heads of the asparagus aside.
• Take a pot, boil water and add all the sticks of the asparagus except the heads. Once the sticks are tender, add the asparagus heads and takeoff heat and let it sit for 10 minutes in the hot water then drain. (This process ensures that the asparagus heads won’t become mushy).
• In a large bowl, add eggs, Cream, parmesan cheese, Salt and Pepper, then mix.
• Drain water from the asparagus then add asparagus and sweet potatoes in the bowl and fold them in.
• Then pour the liquid into the buttered pie plate.
• Sprinkle the cube feta on top and place pie plate into a preheated oven of 350˚F/175˚C. Keep in oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
(Make sure the edges are slightly browned and the centre is cooked and not liquidy).
• Removed from the oven from the oven let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes, Then serve….Enjoy!
Chef Stephan Schulz works across Canada with corporations and with food brokers developing recipes for major restaurants and restaurant chains across Canada. Follow Chef Schulz on instagram for his daily recipe and plated photo posts: https://www.instagram.com/chef_schulz