Recipe for two people
Chef’s Note: You can’t go wrong with this simple and tasty way to serve mussels. Mussels come in a variety of sizes and tastes. Pick your favourite, whether from our Canadian coast or other imported varieties, they taste great, especially with a touch of white wine to enhance the flavour. If you have never tried mussels before, you will love this dish…there is no fishy taste, just a pure gastronomic delight… Enjoy!
• A package of 1 – pound of muscles or about 10 mussels for each person
• 2 portions of pasta (use your favourite long pasta)
• Half a cup of white wine
• 5 tablespoons of butter
• Quarter cup of finely chopped parsley
• 2 fresh garlic cloves-chopped fine
• 1 shallot chop fine
• 3/4 cup of 35% heavy cream
• 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese grated
• Rinse and clean muscles under cold water, remove all beards (these are the hairs that may be growing on the shell)
• Get a pot of cold water ready in order to steam your muscles, use a sieve that you can put on top of the pot with a lid. Ensure that the water does not touch the muscles. Once your muscles are steamed and shells all are open, set them aside.
• Get another pot ready with water to cook your pasta according to manufactures instructions.
• In a pan add your 5 tablespoons of butter, garlic and chopped shallot (on medium heat). Cook for three or four minutes then add your wine, simmer for one or two minutes, then add your cream and parmesan cheese. Simmer mixture for minute then add your pasta and your steamed mussels. Stir all together and serve immediately.
• Add Parsley on top to garnish.
Chef Stephan Schulz works across Canada with corporations and with food brokers developing recipes for major restaurants and restaurant chains across Canada. Follow Chef Schulz on instagram for his daily recipe and plated photo posts: https://www.instagram.com/chef_schulz an download his FREE cookbook from totimes.ca!