by Chef Stephan Schulz
Chef’s note— Oktoberfest platter with potato salad recipe — Platters are great for family meals. They are so easy to organise, and nothing goes better with a platter than a Potato Salad. This is one of my favourite go-to sides for events like a family meal. I made this salad to accompany my Oktoberfest family platter which included European Wiener, Weiswurst sausage, smoked farmers sausage, Sauerkraut, German Meatloaf, German Bologna, Beerworst Bologna, Pickle, and Salted Pretzels, Dijon Mustard and, of course-Potato and Egg Salad.
Oktoberfest Potato Salad Recipe:
• Four potatoes
• Two eggs
• 2 cups of Chicken broth, (add extra water if needed)
• Small pickle, (Diced)
• 1/2 granny Smith apple, (Peel and diced)
• 1/2 small onion, (Diced)
• 1 tablespoon of sour cream
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Peel potatoes and slice them into half slices,
• Place potatoes into a pot under cold water run water over potatoes through for two or three minutes.
• Once potatoes are rinsed place into the pot and add the chicken broth (make sure that the potatoes are fully covered, if it extra liquid is needed, add water) Cook until tender but still firm.
• in another pot, boil the eggs (3 – 5 minutes), Once boiled, place under Cold running water to cool eggs. Once cooled and shells removed, dice eggs and place them into a mixing bowl.
• Add diced pickles, the peeled and diced Granny Smith apples, diced onion, sour cream and salt to taste, mix thoroughly, then fold in cooked potatoes.
• Place in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours before serving (Note: mix the potato salad again before serving).
Chef Stephan Schulz works across Canada with corporations and with food brokers developing recipes for major restaurants and restaurant chains across Canada. Follow Chef Schulz on instagram for his daily recipe and plated photo posts: https://www.instagram.com/chef_schulz